Monday, February 15, 2010

First Few Days Home ... Click Here for Video






There's no place like home!!!!! Oh it feels so good to be home. We have had an eventful few days, hecnce, you haven't heard from me in a while. We left China at 4pm Wednesday afternoon (Alabama time) and got home Friday morning at 3am. We almost missed our flight to Atlanta due to a long line in customs, but thanks to Maggie Mae crying in her daddy's arms, we got bumped to the front. We saw another family getting special privileges because their child was crying so hard, so Dexter looked at me and said "Give me the baby!" And yes we thought it was funny that time and it worked. We ran to the gate and got there right before they were closing the doors! We then found out an hour later that the de-icing mechanism was not working on our plane, so we made a detour to Knoxville to change planes again. We didn't care, we were going to make it home. Tony was home feeling anxious because of the impending weather coming in on Friday. So we got in around 3am and got everyone settled in, went to bed about 5am and got up at 10:30am to Sarah-Gracen throwing up. Everyone was so excited about the snow, but she was so pitiful and wasn't able to go out in it at all. She was sick for 2 days. Yesterday, Camden started running fever and has a sore throat. Parker is getting over jet lag and doing 2 weeks worth of make up work. Daddy has gone back to work and mom is trying to dig her way out of 2 1/2 weeks of laundry. So that's where we are now, but again, all is Great because we are home.
Maggie Mae is doing well adjusting to her new home. She is loving her high chair and her car seat! Praising Jesus for an answered prayer! Sleeping was rough at first because of the time change, but it's getting better. We went to church yesterday and she did very well, even went to Jalapenos with some friends and she loved it! As we speak she is on the floor playing with her new toys Maw Maw and Christina brought her. This is huge because she has not wanted to be out of my arms since we got home. You will see in the pictures and video, she loves taking a bath, and she got a real special treat the other night. She and Elsie Hufham got to take one together. She really loves her friend!
So many thanks to so many people who made our homecoming special. My house was clean thanks to Sarah, Gayna, and Georgia. Groceries were stocked thanks to Nan! Lisa had the sweetest Welcome Home sign made for us! Amy added her special touch with signs from our friends at church and flowers in Maggie Mae's room and most importantly, praying over our house!!!! My secret pal made a visit and left cookies, hot cocoa and some beautiful flowers. Thanks to Sharon, Suzanne, Georgia, Glenda, Martha, and Lisa for the meals. I haven't had to cook once since returning! Martha, my mother in law came on Saturday bearing gifts, food, but most importantly her love and support. She and I got all the bags unpacked and got the laundry started. Maggie Mae has a very special Maw Maw! One of the sweetest things was the first thing I saw when arriving home, Tony put a yellow bow on the mailbox. He was so ready for us to be home, and we were so ready to see him too! I know I probably have forgotten someone, but know that so many people have done so much, and we are eternally grateful for every single detail. God spoke to me regarding community last May, and He has given me a new perspective on living in community. I will never be the same again.
Lastly, I will leave you with something God has put on my heart. Amy and I were talking the other night about our whole experience and she said something that illuminated this in my heart. She asked me how I REALLY was! She said she could read between the lines in the blog and knew me well enough to know when it was a good day and when it wasn't so good. When someone really takes the time to get to know you, they can read your words and know your heart. This is the same with the Lord. Anyone can read His word, and He will reveal Himself to them through His word. However, when you really know Him and know His heart, and then read His word, it comes to life! It's just different when we really know Him. How do we get to that point? Well I think it's different for everyone because we are all on our own individual journeys. However, one thing I know for sure is stepping out and taking risks in following Him is vitally important in establishing our relationship with Him. This has been the hardest thing I think I have ever been through, and I have been through a lot in my life. But oh, how intimate my relationship is with my Lord because of it. I am so in love with Him and truly am beginning to understand what "I Surrender All" truly means. Please continue to pray for bonding and attachment for Maggie Mae and Dexter. I am patiently waiting to see God breathe life into that relationship. She has been given an incredible earthly father who loves her deeply. I pray as she begins to trust him, she will give her heart to him completely!



4 comments:

Mom said...

I don't think ya'll have any idea how your blog has impacted the "community." More people have told me how much it has meant to them...and it has given me the opportunity to share with others your experiences by encouraging them to read it! Thanks so much for sharing your journey and your heart! I love you and can't wait to get to know Maggie Mae!
Dexter...shave off your beard and see if it makes a difference...do Chinese men have beards? Just wondering....

Jenni said...

ooops...guess I better fix that...That would be from JENNI, not MOM!!!

Jenni said...

ooops...guess I better fix that...That would be from JENNI, not MOM!!!

The Andersons said...

I'm so thrilled for you guys to be home with Maggie Mae. I love reading your posts because I could written so many of them myself and just inserted Ethiopia in there. Our marriage was so strengthened by the process, too. Adoption has been the greatest gift to our family. We too almost missed our last flight home due to immigration taking soooo long. The plane doors were closed and i think the look on my face made them open them again or they would have dealt with a very weepy mom! :)

Grace calls her brother and sister Bo Bo and Sissy too! so cute!

Enjoy these early months and document everything - you wont believe how fast she will change. Tell Dexter to be encouraged. Grace attached to Scotty much faster than to me but time will draw them close. Seven months after being home, I'm still seeing her heart open to me slowly in little things every day. The Lord sets the lonely in families and in no time at all, she will be fully a Watts!!!!

Praise the Lord for his work in Maggie's life already!